Specifically, I search for jobs on the following websites:
And I look for jobs (part-time or full-time) in the following BC regions and communities:
- Cariboo (cities of 100 Mile House, Quesnel and Williams Lake)
- Kootenays (cities of Castlegar, Creston, Grand Forks, Kimberley and Nelson)
- Sunshine Coast (cities of Gibsons, Powell River, Roberts Creek and Sechelt)
The job categories below are almost always in high demand in rural communities, so these jobs are not included in the data I collect. If you are looking for a job in one of these job categories you should have no trouble finding opportunities, even in rural communities:
- Food/hospitality (e.g. cook, server, barista, bartender). Possible employers are McDonalds, Subway, restaurants etc.
- Retail (e.g. sales associate, assistant manager, cashier, front desk clerk). Possible employers are Walmart, Safeway/Sobeys, local merchants.
- Finance (e.g. customer service, loans officer, financial advisor). Possible employers are local branches of large banks, e.g. BMO, CIBC, RBC, Scotiabank, TD.
- Trades and construction (e.g. apprentice electrician, automotive technician, carpenter).
In addition, I only include reputable employers, i.e. I do not include jobs posted by individual people unless they have included a website, a picture of themselves, a phone number, and business-type email (i.e. not email address from gmail or craigslist).
Last, if a job listing has appeared multiple times, either on different dates (e.g. in September and then in October) or on multiple websites (e.g. craigslist and indeed.ca), I only include it once.
With the above exclusions, since September 2018 (the first month I collected data) I found unique viable job listings covering the above-mentioned twelve small cities.
Number of job listings by category - September/October 2018
Number of job listings by size of population - September/October 2018
To see specific job listings please select a city or category below.